Re: Problem with several descriptions

On 11 July 2011 03:12, Simon Paillard <spaillard@debian.org> wrote:
>> So my guess is, that the script/service is only checking the value of
>> "Description-md5" in the Translation-de.bz2 file and not seeing any
>> change in the translation itself, once it's translated.
>> [1] ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/i18n/Translation-de.bz2
>
> You're right, actually I guess DDTP lacks a Description-$lang-md5

I don't understand what you mean here.

> In the current code, packages.debian.org manages only one translation per
> english description, I don't know really about DDTP specifications (what it the
> point in managing several different translations of the same english ?).

The DDTP is the same. Translations are identified by their md5 hash.
Per description there is only one translation for each language, even
if it may be used in multiple packages. The Package header is there
just for human readability, it's a randomly selected package with that
description. Your code correctly ignores it.

> If we remove this check, the database size is * 3, extraction time to database
> is still a matter of seconds, max 1 minute.

The check for duplicate md5s? Shouldn't be necessary, there won't be
any duplicates.

> At import, only one translation is imported, then on static generation, we
> fetch considering the md5 as the key (lib/Packages/DoShow.pm lines ~180).
>
> The code that imports translations in the database is:
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=webwml/packages.git;a=blob;f=bin/parse-translations

Looking at the code I don't see what can go wrong, unless there is
some difference in the way the md5s are calculated. That would cause
some weird issues.

Is there a way to determine what the md5 of a description is according
to the website?

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/