Re: "Lenny's" twist of fate

Hi,

This is not user support mailing list address.  You should use
debian-user@lists.debian.org .

Please understand Debian is not-for-profit volunteer efforts and we
expect you to make reasonable efforts to read our documentation.

Just posting here shows you are not-so-well prepared.  But do not worry.

First http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 09:14:17AM -0500, philipgeiger wrote:
> I'm presently trying to install "Lenny" on my dinosaur computer. It's an
> amd 500 with 512 mb ram and a wd 160gb hard drive. After installing I
> noticed that my serial mouse doesn't work and the initial screen doesn't
> have any underscores to access by hot keys and tabbing as a plan b.

These are minor glitches.  I would be happy to get to here.  Your
complaints are minor glitches.  They are not like "SEGMENTATION ERROR"
which is hard to fix.  You seem to got WORKING SYSTEM already :-)

> I'm trying to install over my previous installation still without the
> mouse support.

Yeah...

> I would also like to know if there are any drivers for old scsi
> zip100 and jazz drives locked up somewhere haven't been able to find any
> in my travels so far.

I don't know why ...

> please respond  because it's been 3 days with
> various distros and all seem to have their little quirks about working
> properly.

Is this your first GNU/Linux experience?  It is not so simple to install
system on non-standard old system as novice user.  Just because some
distribution gave you easy time initially, please do not assume you are
in command.  If you want to administer system, this is normal situation.

> Well this latest attempt seems to have locked up... looks like
> I have to dump the drive and start over. Merry Christmas to all and to
> all...

Here is my suggestion.

Since your platform looks to have small DRAM memory which prevents
modern installer to be used, I suggest you to use old distribution on
CD if you have CD ROM drive on your system.

If you have access to newer PC, try to learn GNU/Linux using live CD.
There are Debian live CD but Ubuntu ones are also good.
 http://wiki.debian.org/LiveCD
 http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download

I also recommend you to learn basics from http://www.debian.org/doc/

Please note old Debian distribution has been moved to
http://archive.debian.org/debian/

See this backgrounds at http://www.debian.org/distrib/archive

Osamu
PS: See http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#quick-reference