Re: webwml in git?

	Hi :)

* Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> [2008-09-18 19:06:07 CEST]:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 04:55:50PM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> >  Yes, and this should definitely be addressed with helper scripts that
> > make it as convenient for translators as it is currently.>
> Asssuming sha1sum to be 0abdd28ef9577b5da42ed2d9973a98410cc92ec8
>
> You mean translators to do:
> $ gitk 0abdd28ef9577b5da42ed2d9973a98410cc92ec8..HEAD somefile.english
> as easy way (this tells me time of commit too....) or

 Rather something like ./getdiff.pl somefile.language (possibly with
some options to limit the changed revisions, too). And all this with the
benefit of being offline, and even have coloured (wordwise) diff output.

> use indivisual commands like:
> $ git diff -u 0abdd28ef9577b5da42ed2d9973a98410cc92ec8..HEAD somefile.english

 They can, but I don't expect them to do that and there is no real need
to do that.

> Come to think of it, it is not too dificult.

 Right.

> >   And Osamu, no no NO. We do *not* want get extremely huge refs files. A
> > tag for every single file and every commit? Please think again what that
> > exactly means. :)
>
> I meant to do this only on English pages (translation parent pages).
> But I have to admit, even this is quite waisteful.

 Even then I'm not sure if there would be much speed benefit of doing
it. Given when using a script for getting the diff and updating the
header version it might only be a minor advantage anyway.

 Please notice that this isn't engraved in stone, it's just my opinions
and I'm open to discussions, I don't believe to know everything, or
would want people to expect from me to be perfect (or sign that) - so
feel free to raise your concerns before the actual decision is taken and
it might be too late.

 So long,
Rhonda