Re: webwml in git?

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 04:55:50PM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> * Peter Krefting <peter@softwolves.pp.se> [2008-09-17 14:16:34 CEST]:
> > If webwml was to change to Subversion, I would most probably be using
> > git-svn anyway, so for me, a native Git implementation is just as good.
> > The problem is handling the translation revision tracking, as Git does
> > not have any numerical revision numbers. It can of course be solved,
> > but it might be a bit more inconvenient for translators since it most
> > likely will need to work with the big SHA-1 hashes.
>
>  Yes, and this should definitely be addressed with helper scripts that
> make it as convenient for translators as it is currently. I don't see
> much of a problem here, it's even better for the translators because
> they can generate the needed diff offline directly. I know that it's
> possible to trim down SHA-1 hashes to as few as still is unambigious,
> but given proper tools that shouldn't be needed, and giving them a tool
> that generates the diff for them is something that we want anyway
> (extracting sha1sum from translation and checking against HEAD version
> of the file).

Asssuming sha1sum to be 0abdd28ef9577b5da42ed2d9973a98410cc92ec8

You mean translators to do:
$ gitk 0abdd28ef9577b5da42ed2d9973a98410cc92ec8..HEAD somefile.english
as easy way (this tells me time of commit too....) or

use indivisual commands like:
$ git diff -u 0abdd28ef9577b5da42ed2d9973a98410cc92ec8..HEAD somefile.english

Come to think of it, it is not too dificult.

>  I guess this also solves your question, Joy? ;)
>
>   And Osamu, no no NO. We do *not* want get extremely huge refs files. A
> tag for every single file and every commit? Please think again what that
> exactly means. :)

I meant to do this only on English pages (translation parent pages).
But I have to admit, even this is quite waisteful.