Re: webwml in git?

Gerfried Fuchs:

>  Last week I wondered how much space a complete git conversion would
> take - and I was quite surprised:

Looks quite expected to me :-)

>  Is this something that could be worked upon? 300M less than with svn
> with lots of benefits is something that I would really like to put
> some efforts into,

Indeed. The offline-y thing is something I would have liked to have
years ago when I was working disconnected (I used to use the cvsq set
of scripts to queue CVS commands for when I connected), but with Git
you have that for free.

If webwml was to change to Subversion, I would most probably be using
git-svn anyway, so for me, a native Git implementation is just as good.

The problem is handling the translation revision tracking, as Git does
not have any numerical revision numbers. It can of course be solved,
but it might be a bit more inconvenient for translators since it most
likely will need to work with the big SHA-1 hashes.

> and if someone is familiar with how submodules work so that
> translators can just checkout english and their language instead of
> the whole junk (I though would also like to see how many active
> translators we have that don't have the space for a full checkout)
> that would be great, too.

I wonder how much can be saved doing that. I haven't really tested
submodules that much, but we need to make sure that a "sparse" checkout
of submodules work properly, since you most probably do need to have
the superproject, English and your language checked out.

The problem most people have with submodules in Git is that the
history gets disconnected. However, for translations like this, that
might actually be a bonus, as the history for the English "original"
can avoid the "clutter" of the translations, and vice versa.

> P.S.: Had done git-cvsimport -v -k -d
> :ext:alfie@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/webwml -m -a webwml -C webwml.git

You might want to try and create an authors file, to make the committer
names look prettier.

> P.P.S.: Yes, -k kills the keywords, but they aren't used by any scripts
>    TTBOMK, are mostly cosmetic from what I can see.

Indeed. We don't need them with Git. With CVS they can be useful if you
do off-line updates, Git doesn't have that problem since you have full
history even off-line.

--
\\// Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/