Re: release.wml lack of gettext and wml pass 2

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 06:42:31PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:

> > > Can you please also use gettext for
> > > english/template/debian/release.wml?
> >
> > Hmm, probably, but I'm not sure why Denis left that one unconverted, that
> > signals trouble.
>
> It looks like once upon a time, I <protect>'ed that file from pass 2,
> without leaving any explanation, but pass 2 (mp4h) would be required
> to parse any <gettext> tags inside.
>
> Can anyone see any reason to keep that?

Denis couldn't remember, I couldn't either, the code seems to work just fine
after the undoing.

So I converted it.

The only thing remaining is the Perl function permute_as_list() argument
that says "Installation Guide" or "Release Notes".

I'm thinking we should replace:

<ul>
<:= &permute_as_list('', 'Installation Guide'); :>
</ul>

with something like this:

<install_manual_arch_list>

That makes it short and to the point - it's a typical (if custom) tag that
shouldn't be touched while translating.

And then do this in release.wml:

<define-tag install_manual_arch_list whitespace=delete>
  <perl:print>&permute_as_list('', q{<gettext>Installation Guide</gettext>});</perl:print>
</define-tag>

I didn't test that yet, but it sounds like it's doable. Either that way,
or using special values for the second argument and parsing them inside
the Perl function. In any case, the point is to hide the code code in
the template and expose the (translatable) text via gettext.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.