Translating packages.d.o

On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 10:29:57AM +0300, Tommi Vainikainen wrote:
> Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org> writes:
> > I guess a general "Git for translators" guide would be useful, yeah.
> > Will try to come up with something.
>
> as you maybe noticed, I managed to do my first commit there updating
> just some Finnish messages.
>
> However while working on it, I noticed some problems with packages.d.o
> as it is now.
>
> First, there is charset problems. If you open http://p.d.o/sid/, it
> contains something like this:

> Obviously this charset=XXX is wrong. It should contain only charset, not
> locale. This matters in Finnish because, it gives that as UTF-8, and the
> page is in UTF-8 charset, but in HTTP headers it gives ISO-8859-1 as
> charset, and user sees UTF-8 garbage. However if you for some reason
> select link "suomi" (Finnish) from the bottom, it loads URL with
> "?lang=fi", and that page is correct, because HTTP header then contains
> UTF-8 as charset.

Ok, will look into that bug.

Currently the whole L10N support of pdo is quite broken (as said in
previous announcement mails).

If you want to make sure not to waste your time with it, please wait
until I explicetly ask for translations.

There are three .pot files:

langs.pot should mostly translatable by copying your langs.XX.po from
webwml.

sections.pot should be save to translate. This doesn't change often and
is used correctly in the current website.

pdo.pot regeneration is currently broken, so that it contains many old
strings or has strings marked as obsolete that aren't in fact obsolete.

All .pot and .po files can be update by running ./cron.d/500update_mo
It is probably usable from a bare checkout if you run
./bin/setup-site $(pwd) packages.debian.org first.

HTH,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/