Re: packages.debian.org development (git.d.o repo, etc.)

Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org> writes:
> I guess a general "Git for translators" guide would be useful, yeah.
> Will try to come up with something.

as you maybe noticed, I managed to do my first commit there updating
just some Finnish messages.

However while working on it, I noticed some problems with packages.d.o
as it is now.

First, there is charset problems. If you open http://p.d.o/sid/, it
contains something like this:

Obviously this charset=XXX is wrong. It should contain only charset, not
locale. This matters in Finnish because, it gives that as UTF-8, and the
page is in UTF-8 charset, but in HTTP headers it gives ISO-8859-1 as
charset, and user sees UTF-8 garbage. However if you for some reason
select link "suomi" (Finnish) from the bottom, it loads URL with
"?lang=fi", and that page is correct, because HTTP header then contains
UTF-8 as charset.

Second thing I'd like to notify you is that there was in quite many
places old place of git repository, maybe even I could change this, but
didn't want yet to mess it up. :)

Third thing, how are the POT files updated? It seems that there has been
a convention that POT files are committed to repository. As those are
autogenerated, many other projects have convention that those are not in
repository and also .po files are only updated by translators, who
generate POT files on the fly. I think this kind of convention is
better, but only if there is not too much dependencies for generating
POT files.

--
Tommi Vainikainen