Re: Re: New Debian Site

Mathieu Stumpf wrote:
> > They look so totally different form the current form - they probably
> > won't reach many seconds.
> >
> > I believ it would be more helpful to determine the parts on the
> > current layout that need improvement and develop a better layout for
> > these instead of overhauling the entire start page.
>
> I'm not sure to understand what you mean, the website structure is realy well
> designed, so it could really looks like this forms.

My aversion has to do with changing it for the sake of it.

That's why I would first like to see detailed criticism on what's
wrong with the current site or layout before we can start discussing
how to change this and see how it can be improved.  If the site is
fine as it is, there's no need to change anything.

To make a start...

 1. The blue side-menue on the main page does not end at the
    horizontal bar but stops in the middle of the page, while the
    right side (the content) has a negative indention as soon as the
    blue menu ends.

    The page would look nicer if either the side menu would have the
    same length as the content, or if the content would start using
    the entire width when the side menu has ended.

 2. When using a graphical browser with only ~850 pixel wide the top
    menu contains line breaks in several languages.  Since we don't
    write on our page 'optimised for 1024x786' or something it would
    be nice if we could use shorter strings.

    One way would be "About Debian" --> "About", another proposal
    would be to change "Getting Debian" into something else, maybe
    "Download".

 3. The Debian letterhead and the logo on top of the top menu use
    quite some space.  Since the main page (and several other pages)
    are already quite long, it may be worth to discuss ways to reduce
    its size.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Still can't talk about what I can't talk about.  Sorry.  -- Bruce Schneier