Re: Re: New Debian Site

On 2006-11-14 18:55, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Mathieu Stumpf wrote:
> > > They look so totally different form the current form - they probably
> > > won't reach many seconds.
> > >
> > > I believ it would be more helpful to determine the parts on the
> > > current layout that need improvement and develop a better layout for
> > > these instead of overhauling the entire start page.
> >
> > I'm not sure to understand what you mean, the website structure is realy
well
> > designed, so it could really looks like this forms.
>
> My aversion has to do with changing it for the sake of it.
>
> That's why I would first like to see detailed criticism on what's
> wrong with the current site or layout before we can start discussing
> how to change this and see how it can be improved.  If the site is
> fine as it is, there's no need to change anything.
>
> To make a start...

There are already some criticisms on this thread, have a look at the Augusto
Frausin mails.

>  1. The blue side-menue on the main page does not end at the
>     horizontal bar but stops in the middle of the page, while the
>     right side (the content) has a negative indention as soon as the
>     blue menu ends.

Honestly, do you really think it's the first thing someone will think about
when coming on the debian main page? Here is what basic users propably
think : "this page sucks!" ;P

Really can't you see how ugly is the current layout? That's really a problem,
because it's the first thing people will see. Maybe you don't think so (after
all, beauty is subjective), but think that there is allready two persons who
really like debian and thought it enough to come here and proposed to change
it. Must people won't go so far even if they think the same.

>     The page would look nicer if either the side menu would have the
>     same length as the content, or if the content would start using
>     the entire width when the side menu has ended.

The page would look nicer if it has not this horrible colors in its menu.
What do you call a negative identation? There is an indentation for the
maincol, but it's a positive one and it's the same all along the page.

>  2. When using a graphical browser with only ~850 pixel wide the top
>     menu contains line breaks in several languages.  Since we don't
>     write on our page 'optimised for 1024x786' or something it would
>     be nice if we could use shorter strings.
>
>     One way would be "About Debian" --> "About", another proposal
>     would be to change "Getting Debian" into something else, maybe
>     "Download".

Well I tried with Epiphany 1.4.8 and it didn't make linebreak (which would be
a good thing to my mind) but goes out of the red box, and makes appear an
horizontal scrollbar. I tried whith the css i proposed and it works even with
a 640*480 resolution under epiphany (others browsers I tried didn't have the
problem of the line break).

I don't agree with you about the fact that it's the line break that makes the
website ugly.

>  3. The Debian letterhead and the logo on top of the top menu use
>     quite some space.  Since the main page (and several other pages)
>     are already quite long, it may be worth to discuss ways to reduce
>     its size.

The logo could be put as background, as I did on this artwork:
http://psychoslave.free.fr/debian/planche_debian1_bis.svg (look with
inkskape).