Re: Quotation marks - commit planned for language css in webwml

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 08:16:59PM +0100, Jutta Wrage wrote:
> Note that the display problem can be there with _any_ of the quotes.
> If browser does not honour the css, it will show all the same quotes
> (typewriter ones) all over the page or maybe no chinese quotes or
> just no quotes.

MSIE 6 shows no quotes at all (this might change with MSIE 7). :-(

Since MSIE is so popular, this makes this elegant kind of CSS magic
unusable in practice for "normal" sites. Well, for debian.org the stats are
probably different.

Still, I feel slightly bad about the fact that after the changes are
committed, >80% of Internet users will _not_ see <q> as intended. FWIW, the
round corners of the current site don't show up on MSIE either. :-/

BTW, does anyone have statistics on browser vendor distribution for
debian.org?

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  0x888354F7
  ¯ '` ¯