Re: Please don't remove outdated translations if the difference isvery small

Peter Karlsson wrote

> This is quite counter-productive, since some version changes in the
> english wml files are sometimes just cosmetic and the translation was
> quite alright when it was removed.

And sometimes the changes are quite extensive. How is the script
supposed to be able to tell the difference, without empowering it with
some kind of artificial intelligence?

That kind of intelligence does not have to be artificial. What about the original writer estimates whether his modifications are merely cosmetic or require a new translation ?

> Could the cron scripts doing this (if any) be modified so that they
> only remove translations that are _way_ too out-dated

IMHO six months without any reaction from the translation team *is*
"way too out-dated". Personally, I would have liked to have the limit
be even stricter.

And what about the translation team has other priorities than considering every single spelling mistake correction of the original file ? Doesn't it make sense to set priorities ?

As far as I know there is a much larger number of text authors than of text translators in any one language. The authors must be held responsible in some way for the text modifications not being reflected in the translation if they are merely cosmetic.

> a translator redid all the work when only a few changes were needed
> simply because the out of date (only 1 version difference) version
> had been removed in a (semi?)automatic way.

It's trivial to check the CVS on whether there already is an old
version that has been purged, and to resurrect it. Ignorance is not an
excuse.

So you are actually saying that a translator can actually bypass the modifications and resurrect a file unmodified to satisfy the needs of an obsolete verification model ?

I find it extremely presumptuous to allow the author to have absolutely no responsibility toward the number of individuals who are going to be penalized by his lack of seriousness.

If the CVS check/resurrection is so trivial then it is the responsibility of the author to do it, or another, more flexible system has to be set that will stop putting unnecessary work load on translation teams.

Ignorance is not an excuse.

We are not talking "ignorance" here but "irrelevance". And "irrelevance" is definitely an excuse.

JC Helary