Re: Typos in website

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 21:27, Jens Seidel wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> thanks for your reply. It seems that I was wrong many times but I really
> try to fix each typo, ... So it's good that I asked on this list.

Thanks for your work on the site, and feel free to ignore any of my
suggestions. I have a tendency to be a little overly-pedantic on
occasion. :-D

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 08:22:58PM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 17:23, Jens Seidel wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I found again a few typos in english/ and the attached patch fixes these
> > > hopefully. Please proofread it.
> > [...]
> > > -Also at LinuxWorld Expo, <b>Corel demoed their Corel Linux Distribution, based
> > > +Also at LinuxWorld Expo, <b>Corel demonstrated their Corel Linux Distribution, based
> >
> > Debatable from an English-only point of view, although it would probably
> > help translations. `Demoed' is perfectly acceptable usage in English
> > (even Evolution's BrEng spollchucker doesn't object to it).
>
> spollchucker = spellchecker ??

Yep. Sorry, bad joke :)

> > Ditto to the second occurrence.
>
> I do not find "to demo" in my dictionary.

I must admit, having checked, that both of mine only list `demo' as a
noun. I'd still regard it is as common usage, however.

As I said, either way, sticking to a form that's easily understandable
for translators is probably better, so I'd go with `demonstrated'.

[...]
> > >  Our children's favourite 3D accelerated game.  Tux zooms down an icy
> > > -mountain race course gobbling up herring.  Sometimes he gets stuck,
> > > +mountain race course gobbling up herrings.  Sometimes he gets stuck,
> >
> > Nope. The plural of `herring' is `herring'. It's like `sheep' (and
> > `cod', `mackerel', `salmon'...).
>
> Thanks, I checked http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de first and it contains:
> Hering {m} [zool.]    herring
> Heringe {pl}          herrings
>
> It would be nice if you report this (link "Kommentare / Berichtigungen
> erwünscht!").
>
> Please note that also my Pons dictionary contains:
> "herring <pl. -ring(s)>". The s suffix seems to be optional.

Indeed. It appears that opinion is divided on the issue, although
possibly I'm just old-fashioned. ;-)

My OEED lists the plurals of herring, cod, salmon and mackerel as being
the same as the singular (although it notes that `salmons' is an
alternative, usually referring to multiple varieties).

The Penguin English, otoh, appears to list -s as an alternative in most
cases. `Herrings' just sounds wrong, imho.

Adam