Re: Typos in website

Hi Adam,

thanks for your reply. It seems that I was wrong many times but I really
try to fix each typo, ... So it's good that I asked on this list.

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 08:22:58PM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 17:23, Jens Seidel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I found again a few typos in english/ and the attached patch fixes these
> > hopefully. Please proofread it.
> [...]
> > -Also at LinuxWorld Expo, <b>Corel demoed their Corel Linux Distribution, based
> > +Also at LinuxWorld Expo, <b>Corel demonstrated their Corel Linux Distribution, based
>
> Debatable from an English-only point of view, although it would probably
> help translations. `Demoed' is perfectly acceptable usage in English
> (even Evolution's BrEng spollchucker doesn't object to it).

spollchucker = spellchecker ??

> Ditto to the second occurrence.

I do not find "to demo" in my dictionary.

> [...]
> >  Another 3D tron game requiring acceleration.  The crashes are a bit
> >  more
> > -interesting than armagetron and the sound effects appeal to the
> > +interesting than in armagetron and the sound effects appeal to the
> >  children.
>
> Technically the original's OK, although a little idiomatic. Not
> particularly fussed either way though. :)
>
> [...]
> >  Our children's favourite 3D accelerated game.  Tux zooms down an icy
> > -mountain race course gobbling up herring.  Sometimes he gets stuck,
> > +mountain race course gobbling up herrings.  Sometimes he gets stuck,
>
> Nope. The plural of `herring' is `herring'. It's like `sheep' (and
> `cod', `mackerel', `salmon'...).

Thanks, I checked http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de first and it contains:
Hering {m} [zool.]    herring
Heringe {pl}          herrings

It would be nice if you report this (link "Kommentare / Berichtigungen
erwünscht!").

Please note that also my Pons dictionary contains:
"herring <pl. -ring(s)>". The s suffix seems to be optional.

Jens