Re: Using original characters for author's names of Debian books

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 07:36:46PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> I'd like to propose to writing names of Debian book authors in
> their original name, with the current Latin-Alphabet transliteration
> in webwml/english/doc/books.wml .
>
> For example,
>
>   Kenshi Muto   --->   武藤建志 (Kenshi Muto)

I've been trying to think about the best way to do this, there are a few
hurdles but most should be ok.

First is will these characters render correctly, I was waiting for a
reply from someone like Peter and it looks ok.

The next hurdle is changing Kenshi's name into those characters.
You've done that for him, but I don't know how to present the other
names in that text.  I suppose the compromise is to say to submitters
you can put your name in this set, but you have to tell me what it is.
Anyone have a page I can refer people to if they say how do they do it?

Last of all, I'll have to do some fiddling around so translators and
wml know not to touch that set of characters, but that should be
ok I think.

It will look a little wierd for the native language. Eg
 Author: Craig Small (Craig Small)
but probably not too bad.

I got similar problems with that in the CD vendor page too.  There are a
lot of missing ^ ' from there.

  - Craig

--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>