Re: questions on webwml/english/templete/debian/cdimage.wml

Tomohiro KUBOTA:

> Do you think we can use entity for far-east characters now for Debian
> pages?

Yes. As for Russian names (look at my change to the English version of
the international/Russian page) and others, it should work.

> However, for European people, my name would look like "?????" (or
> bare entity expression) instead of "Tomohiro KUBOTA".

That depends on the browser and the available fonts. In my regular
browser, I would see your name as it is supposed to (but I wouldn't
understand it). It would be a good idea to (on the English version at
least) to provide a transliteration of the name. On the same note, I
would like to see Cyrillic transliterations of names on Russian pages,
Greek transliterations of names on Greek pages, Hangul transliteration
of names on Korean pages, etc., in addition to the original name
representation.

> I agree this.  However, this ideal can be realized _after_ all of us
> will come to use UTF-8 locales.

Why?

> (Please note there can be softwares which boast themselves to support
> UTF-8 while they cannot use east Asian, Thai, Indian, Hebrew, Arab,
> and so on. Of course I want to fix it because I want to use softwares
> with my native language - Japanese).

I know. I am myself working at Opera Software, and we are working on
the Unicode support in our browsers. Currently our Windows version
works with most scripts that use left-to-write and are non-complex. The
Linux version is still a bit behind (partly because of limitations to
X), so I am aware of the problems. However, using pure UTF-8 is more
likely to be displayed correctly in browsers than many of the legacy
encodings, most certainly when mixing languages.

--
\\//
peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/

  I do not read or respond to mail with HTML attachments.
  Statement concerning unsolicited e-mail according to Swedish law:
  http://www.softwolves.pp.se/peter/reklampost.html