Re: mindelta/maxdelta

Tomohiro KUBOTA:

> What is the difference between "mindelta" and "maxdelta"?

"mindelta" was a not very well thought out method of giving translators
some extra time between translating the page and when it was marked as
outdated. Originally, it was thought that one revision behind was not
so bad, but two was something that should be marked. In hindsight, I
would rather think that the difference should be calculated in days
since translation, or similar. Or simply change it to one, so that
translations automatically are marked as "aged" when they are not
translating the current English version. I have been meaning to change
this for a while, but not come around to.

"maxdelta" is a badly named (my fault) variable for when the
translation is supposed to be called outdated. This too does not work
very well, and should either be calculated in days (where 14 days would
probably be a reasonable amount), or in a lower number of CVS
revisions.

Basically, they are the wrong way to fix the problem of old
translations.

> Only the nuance of "aged" and "outdated"?

Yes. The logic is something like this:

   delta = english_cvs_revision - translated_cvs_revision
   if (delta >= maxdelta)
     page_is_outdated
   else if (delta >= mindelta)
     page_is_aged
   else
     ok

> (I feel some difficulty to translate this nuance into Japanese).

Well, "aged" means that the translation is a bit old, but probably
still mostly correct, and "outdated" means that the translation is too
old to be reliable.

--
\\//
peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/

  Statement concerning unsolicited e-mail according to Swedish law:
  http://www.softwolves.pp.se/peter/reklampost.html