Re: Please update translations for the release of potato

Javier, you've been around for a while and probably already appreciate
what follows. It is mainly intended for any other translators reading
the thread.

On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 10:59:12PM +0200, Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a wrote:

> 	I completely agree with your points here. For what I maintain, I
> have been unable to find people to work (with CVS) towards the site so not
> only the Spanish translation is out of date, there are many places laking
> too..

All we can ask is for you to do what you can. We are volunteers too.
The only suggestion I can make for translations with few volunteers is
to only translate what you know you can keep up to date. It is much
more important to have quality than quantity.

> > One thing that has been brought up before, is what to do with
> > translations that become stale. This is a good time to discuss
> > it (for me at least :). If any one has any thoughts on the
> > matter, I'd like to hear them.
>
> 	I stand on my opinions, which can be easily retrieved from the
> Mailing List archives.

I need to go back and fully read that thread. It happened when I was
busy so didn't get much of my attention.

> 	I do not think so, even if out of date or with broken links a
> translation is useful and could be shown *however* the user should be
> informed of this.
> 	This is the reason for the template/debian/translation-check.wml
> My idea is that translated pages should use the function started here and
> this will print out a warning if (when compiled) detects that the english
> version is newer. However, please note that the Makefile's need to be
> arranged in order to make all translations depend on the original (so they
> are recompiled in case they change) and it could might be too much overload
>  .
> 	I would try to work in this next week.

That would be great. I have mentioned this before, but it is worth repeating.
The translators need to take the lead on implementing new ideas to help
the translations. You are the ones doing the translation and know the
problem areas.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org