Re: Please update translations for the release of potato

	I completely agree with your points here. For what I maintain, I
have been unable to find people to work (with CVS) towards the site so not
only the Spanish translation is out of date, there are many places laking
too..

On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 04:25:58PM -0400, James A. Treacy wrote:
> The release of potato is going to create a lot of attention for
> the web site. For this reason, we should try to get the translations
> up to date for its release. Although it is possible it could be
> delayed, we should plan on 2.2 being released in 3 weeks.

	I hope I will have all the mess fixed before this time.

> One thing that has been brought up before, is what to do with
> translations that become stale. This is a good time to discuss
> it (for me at least :). If any one has any thoughts on the
> matter, I'd like to hear them.

	I stand on my opinions, which can be easily retrieved from the
Mailing List archives.

> For example, should we delete translated files from cvs(*) once
> they diverge too much from the original?
>
> (*)Note that a file deleted from cvs can still be recovered. It
> isn't gone forever.

	I do not think so, even if out of date or with broken links a
translation is useful and could be shown *however* the user should be
informed of this.
	This is the reason for the template/debian/translation-check.wml
My idea is that translated pages should use the function started here and
this will print out a warning if (when compiled) detects that the english
version is newer. However, please note that the Makefile's need to be
arranged in order to make all translations depend on the original (so they
are recompiled in case they change) and it could might be too much overload
 .
	I would try to work in this next week.

	Javi