Re: files in international/l10n take too long to process

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 01:33:12AM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:

[...]
> BTW why not fix individual documents containing container tags and include
> wml::sys::compat1 in them? Perhaps with some kind of conditional, so that we
> don't have to make the bogus directory with a bogus file in it.

I am much more lazy than you :-)
But indeed it is possible not to add this bogus sys/compat1.wml, e.g. by
adding these 2 lines on top of each file using define-container:
   $(WML1_IGNORE:*#)  $(WML1_IGNORE=#use)
   $(WML1_IGNORE:-#) wml::sys::compat1

WML 1.7.4 silently ignores them, and WML 2.0.2 includes wml::sys::compat
which is included in this version. I do not know if it works with
WML<1.7.4, but i believe it does.

A better solution is to check whether define-container is defined,
but i did not yet have a working version.

[...]
> Note: I've applied the below patch for SPI/template/template.wml to
> template/{devel,menu}bar.wml, too. Also, I've noticed that the pass 9 takes
> quite a lot of time on vendors.CD file, too; however two slices are used in
> the file. Could we <protect pass=5,9> everything but that chunk?

I do not understand what you are suggesting, but give it a try and check
if it works.  IIRC James Treacy told it would be wise to split this file
(by country i guess). You may in vendors.CD.def replace all slices by
tests on $(CUR_ISO_LANG), e.g.
  <define-tag vendor whitespace=delete>
	<strong>
	<ifeq "$(CUR_ISO_LANG)" "en" "Vendor">
	<ifeq "$(CUR_ISO_LANG)" "fi" "Toimittaja">
	<ifeq "$(CUR_ISO_LANG)" "es" "Comerciante">
	:</strong> %attributes<br>
  </define-tag>
and then protect datas against expansion by pass 9.

I do not know if you are already aware of that, but countries
are listed in alphabetical order based on their English names, which
looks strange in Finnish ;-)

Denis