Re: files in international/l10n take too long to process

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 07:06:23PM -0400, James A. Treacy wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 06:14:34PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> >
> > If he does not answer, i will have a look on them.
> > Who could upload modified files? I do not have CVS write access.
> >
> Send me a diff and I'll commit the changes.

I have already done many changes, but it is not finished yet, i will
send changes tomorrow late.  For a quick and dirty hack, place
<protect pass=5-8>...</protect> around inclusion of l10n-lang.pl in
l10n-lang.wml.

> If you have time, could you look at english/distrib/vendors.wml?
> Pass 5 takes about 1 hour on my lowly P133 at home. Pass 9 took
> about 9 minutes. Granted, the page has gotten too large (I am
> planning on splitting it up), but wml could really use a speedup
> here.

This is indeed what i realized, version shipped with Potato has a bad
designed pass5, which has been fixed lately because this slow processing
only occurs with large files.
The problem is that a bug has been fixed in WML 1.7.4, which caused this
slowing down.  The only solution to suppress this drawback was to change
alternative syntax of diversions. Up to 1.7.4, `..NAME>>' and `{#NAME:'
were equivalent, and the latter became `{#NAME#:' after WML 1.7.4.

So if you want to speed up pass5, the only solution is to upgrade pass5
to this new syntax.  I do not know if something can be done now, but if
yes, download
   http://www.engelschall.com/sw/wml/distrib/latest/wml_backend/p5_divert/divert.src
and replace definition for <divert> and <leave> in wml::std::tags too.

About pass9, i failed speeding it up, so any help is welcome.

Denis