Re: fixed (I hope) example of a modified security page

On Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 12:49:03PM -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
> One solution is not point to an exact version, but the directory it will be
> in and state that the version should be greater than x. For the case above
> that would be:
>
> <dd><a href=ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/source/net>netstd
> >= 3.07</a>.

It would probably be nicer if there were a clickable link. Especially since
there are so many packages with very similar names in proposed-updates.

> Another solution is to add 'proposed-updates' to the web pages. One method
> would be to create its own section, but that would be awkward. Better would
> be to check dists/proposed-updates/ and modify the page in the
> Packages/stable section of the website to make note of this. You would then
> simply point to
> http://www.debian.org/Packages/stable/<section>/<package>.html The daily
> updates of the package section will take care of all the links for you since
> these pages contain links to the source and a direct link to the current
> package in the distro.

I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand, it would make new packages more
accessible. On the other, there's a reason we have a lag between
proposed-updates and stable: the stuff in proposed-updates hasn't really been
tested yet, and sometimes hoses your system.

Can I get a copy of the scripts used to build the Packages section? I'd be
willing to take a stab at writing the stuff to keep the security urls up to
date--it's something I've been wanting to do, but haven't gotten around to
yet. (First the holidays, then a new job; I've got some time to look at it
now, though.)

Mike Stone