Re: fixed (I hope) example of a modified security page

On Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 11:43:04AM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 01:30:10AM -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
> > <dd><a href=ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/source/net/netstd_3.07.orig.tar.gz>ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/source/net/netstd_3.07.orig.tar.gz</a>
>
> Tell me if you have any thoughts on how to implement this: what I'd really
> like to see is the ability to say somthing like <package dist=main section=net
> type=deb package=netstd version=3.07> and have the build process check
> incoming, proposed-updates, and stable to build the appropriate url. One
> fairly significant problem with the process at the moment is that the packages
> tend to move around, and newer versions get released. If the urls didn't break
> when that happened, it would be great. Can wml do this, or does there need to
> be a helper program or something?

Aside: wml is essentially 9 filters. One of them happens to be perl. Thus you
can do pretty much anything you want with wml.

One solution is not point to an exact version, but the directory it will be in and
state that the version should be greater than x. For the case above that would be:

<dd><a href=ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/source/net>netstd >= 3.07</a>.

Another solution is to add 'proposed-updates' to the web pages. One method would be
to create its own section, but that would be awkward. Better would be to check
dists/proposed-updates/ and modify the page in the Packages/stable section of the
website to make note of this. You would then simply point to
http://www.debian.org/Packages/stable/<section>/<package>.html
The daily updates of the package section will take care of all the links for you
since these pages contain links to the source and a direct link to the current
package in the distro.

Of course, the security page should still give the minimum version number to install
that fixes the problem.

Yikes, am I creating more work for myself?

Jay Treacy