Re: language names

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 03:58:10PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:

> I think ASCII is the universal and safe character set.
> I suggest to write
>
>   *** -> ###(NIHONGO)
>   @@@ -> &&&(RUSSKII)
>   Espa$ol -> Espa+ol
>
> and so on, where
>
> *** is 'Japanese' in Japanese letters in Japanese local codeset,
> ### is 'Japanese' in Japanese letters in "numeric character reference",
> @@@ is 'Russian' in Cyrillic letters in ISO-8859-5,
> &&& is 'Russian' in Cyrillic letters in "numeric character reference",
> $   is 'n' with tilde in ISO-8859-1 (I don't like to use ISO-8859-1 in e-mail
>                                      because it is not universal),
> +   is 'n' with tilde in "numeric character reference", and so on.
>
> Optionally, 'Espa+ol' may be 'Espa+ol(Espanol)' or may not.
> (I like this, but someone may feel this is too verbose.)

What do others think about having all the languages that appear as
jibberish in ascii append the language name in ascii (in parentheses)?
What about Chinese, where it is really the same language just represented
in two different codings?

> 'NIHONGO' and 'RUSSKII' are 'Japanese' and 'Russian' in their language
> in ASCII characters.

Since the language is already represented in the native charset, should
the ascii versions also be in the native language or another, like
English?

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org