Re: Bikeshedding

    Stefano> I respectfully disagree.  While it's not DPL's
    Stefano> responsibility to implement (and maybe even drive) any
    Stefano> specific technical/workflow change in the project, knowing
    Stefano> what the DPL *thinks* about matters like this one is a
    Stefano> fundamental element when deciding whom to vote for. That is
    Stefano> certainly the case for my vote, but I suspect I'm not
    Stefano> alone.

I'm hesitant to reply further.  However, I feel passionate about
respecting a diversity of opinions, and I'm concerned that the approach
you take above can lead the project away from respecting that diversity.
I'd like to explain why; I'm not trying to convince you to change your
mind, but I think this is important to understanding who I am and how I
think.

I hope people will vote for me because I can get stuff done, because I
care about avoiding unnecessary pain, and because they agree with my
thoughts about what areas we should focus on, and within the scope of
things that are DPL matters, because they agree with how I'd approach
them.

Assuming we agree a question is important to answer, and assuming we
agree that respecting the wishes of the project is important rather than
just forcing a decision on people, my personal beliefs take a back seat.
If I'm good at getting the project to that decision, I am quite likely a
better choice than someone who agrees more closely with your preferred
position but who isn't going to be effective at getting a decision and
respecting the project wishes.

going too far down the path of voting for people based on whether they
agree with you in areas that are not related to doing the job rather
than on whether they can do the job well can lead to divisive splits and
lack of diversity.  I'd prefer not to see that here.

--Sam