Re: Debian presence on newer platforms

Quoting Jonathan Carter (2019-03-25 20:20:11)
> Hi Martin
>
> On 2019/03/25 21:16, martin f krafft wrote:
> > And while surely not representative: 11 out of 12 teams I personally
> > know who looked at Matrix and Mattermost a couple of years back and
> > went with Mattermost then are now migrating to Matrix, which has the
> > following benefits:

[...]

> >  - real-time voice/video conferencing

[...]

> (I didn't know it had real-time voice/video conferencing... that's
> also pretty cool, might be nice for DebConf remote attendees if it
> becomes more of a formal part of Debian)

Matrix doesn't really do realtime A/V conferencing.  The Matrix client
"Riot Web" (and probably "Riot Desktop" as well, but not "Riot Android"
or "Riot iOS" afaik) - offers a plugin to load Jitsi Meet in rooms. This
means constraints like concurrent users and bandwidth load and
reliability are same as when using https://meet.jit.si/ - benefit is
convenience of all Riot users in a Matrix room being auto-registered for
the Jitsi Meet room as well.

 - Jonas