Debian presence on newer platforms

Hi,

a lot of communication in Debian happens over IRC.  However IRC is not
as nice to use as newer alternatives, creating a barrier for newer
contributors.

Do you think Debian should be more active to establish (official)
presence on newer platforms?

A disadvantage is splitting the community, but I'm not sure keeping IRC
forever as the world moves on is a good option either...

In particular I also wonder if Debian should look at Matrix[1]: it is a
free and decentralized platform, and the UI (of Riot[2]) seems more
friendly than IRC clients.

(I haven't used Matrix much myself yet... Just played a bit as ${work}
might use it and they have set up a test installation.)

Similar things also apply to mailing lists; there are solutions that
might be more accessible to some users (e.g. mailman3's web interface
which for example Fedora uses).  Though I can't say much about those as
I haven't used them so far.

Ansgar

  [1] https://matrix.org
  [2] https://riot.im