Re: Debian presence on newer platforms

Quoting "Sam Hartman", who wrote on 2019-03-25 at 13:09 Uhr -0400:
I've been looking at Matrix too and it seems kind of nice. There already seem to be a number of channels related to Debian (or gatewayed from oftc) on Matrix.

One benefit of Matrix is that there are a lot of bridges, and the IRC bridge is very stable. In fact, any OFTC room is already available on Matrix through implicit bridging. All you have to do is join the room #_oftc_#channel:matrix.org and you'll be joined bidirectionally to the corresponding IRC channel. Also works for other networks. Freenode is the one exception in that it doesn't have a leading _.

See https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-appservice-irc/wiki/End-user-FAQ
for more info, including how to register and take control over the
nickname used.

I've been wanting to suggest Matrix for Debian since DC15, but I haven't because of the above, which already allows everyone to use Matrix who wants to, while avoiding the debate that will otherwise occupy us for years.

But yeah, Matrix is the future of chat/rich-media exchange. KDE has recently migrated entirely. I don't expect that Debian ever will, which is why the bridging concept is just beautiful.

--
.''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> @martinkrafft
: :'  :  proud Debian developer

"a cigarette is the perfect type of pleasure.
it is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied."
                                                     -- oscar wilde