Re: A few high level questions for all platforms

* Jonathan Carter <jcc@debian.org> [2019-03-20 18:57]:
> > Not right now, although my ideas of spending Debian's money might
> > trigger some GRs.

[ I should point that your quote removes a smiley from my sentence and
that smiley was significant. ]

> Your platform doesn't provide much details on that, although you do
> mention grants and paid-for Debian work.

Yes, external grants and external paid work.  None of that is
controversial.

I think we could also think about using Debian's money for grants, but
obviously we'd have to come up with a process and criteria, etc.

> Do you mind expanding on your spending ideas, and how they may be
> controversial?

I probably shouldn't have written the sentence I wrote in jest without
more background or explanation.

For the record, I am not planning on spending money on controversial
things.

However, (as I hinted in my platform) I think it's time to start
asking some serious questions.  For example, why is the DPL not a paid
position?  Would it make sense to pay for release management?

If you step outside our Debian bubble and talk to people, they believe
we're absolutely bonkers that the DPL role is not paid.  All of these
recent questions of "how many hours can you devote to being DPL" show
me what I keep repeating all the time: being DPL is a serious commitment.
If you look around at similar projects, you'll see they generally have
some kind of paid leadership positions.

But yeah, if we decided to go for something like a board plus paid
Executive Director, that may require changes in our documents (which
was the original questions).

(I could write more but I think this isn't the right place or time.)

--
Martin Michlmayr
https://www.cyrius.com/