Re: Q to all candidates: Universal Operating System

* Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> [2019-03-20 13:35]:
> So long as most of the work is being done by those who are interested
> in the use case, maintainers (and anyone else with a gatekeeper role)
> should do their bit (by carrying patches, mentioning alternative
> dependencies, advising about debugging, or whatever).
>
> DPL candidates: do you agree ?

I generally agree, but only as long as the burden is reasonable.  I
believe there are cases where someone is willing to do the work, but
the future maintenance cost or added complexity makes it not worth it.

I wrote the following in my response to Lucas but I had your question
in mind when I wrote it:

If something requires changes to every package and they are willing to
do the work and the change is easily maintainable, fine.  If they are
not willing to do the work, too bad.  If the change increases
complexity, we have to ask: is it worth it?

--
Martin Michlmayr
https://www.cyrius.com/