Re: Questions about "Winding down my Debian involvement"

Hi Joerg,

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 04:17:51PM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> More unification
> in central parts, with the biggest part being packaging, is better.

That's actually my point.

> OTOH we need to stay open for enhancing things. So while I am a fan of
> "dh for everyone, throw away all the hand crafted stuff", it should not
> make it impossible to come up with new stuff in the future.

Fine for NEW stuff.  I could also imagine exceptions for *really*
complex stuff.  I fail to see any reason why to refuse a patch turning
rules to dh for those simple packages just out of personal preference.
My point is to stop random personal preferences overriding team
maintainable packages that do not have any specific requirements.

> >   2. I consider packaging in Git on salsa.debian.org a big move
> >      forward to some unified workflow for Debian packaging (thanks to
> >      Salsa admins by the way).  Do you see any chance to convince
> >      maintainers to maintain their packages on salsa.d.o as a
> >      recommended development platform.
>
> I would actually like if we end up with a "git push turns into an
> upload". Which would need some central $thing for it to make it so. Not
> sure thats salsa. Or something seperately (but maybe together with it).

Sounds good but that's one step ahead.

> Aside that, yes, the more stuff is similar, the better and easier larger
> changes can be done.

I'd wish I hat 10 votes to say: +10

> Though salsa or not is a small point here.

I'd consider it a first step.

> How many
> different ways of maintaining a package in git do we have by now?

We have migrated a lot of packages from Alioth to Salsa.  It would have
been a good idea to fix the repository layout before - but that has not
been done.  I've seen team maintained packages where every single
repository I was looking into was slightly different from other packages
of the same team.  IMHO we should accompany Debian Policy which only
covers the user installation view by a Debian Development Policy that
focusses all those different options to some convergent way to maintain
packages and enables me filing bug report about "Not maintained in Git",
"Unusual repository layout", "Not using dh" etc.

> Driving something here to end up with one, now that would be good. Also,
> something that shouldnt be the DPLs job - but the DPL may need to help
> out with communications, delegations, support (say, meetings and cost
> for them).

Yes, that's my point.  DPL could trigger this kind of discussion.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de