Re: Proposal: Recall the Project Leader

martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> [2006.09.23.2110 +0200]:
> > It's not about a timely release, it's about Debian directly or
> > indirectly paying *some* developers for the work they signed up
> > to.
>
> No, it's about a timely release and enabling two people of core
> importance to dedicate even more of their time, using limited funds
> in a well-defined manner. It's about an experiment to see whether
> it has the potential break our track record of continuously missing
> our deadlines.
>
> And quite obviously, there's a lot of personal, emotional stuff
> involved on the side of the opponents. Are you jealous that you're
> not getting any money this time? Are you fearing that you may never
> get any money?

I'm not jealous.  I'm totally disappointed.  I'll have to reorder the
priorities in my life.  I'm sure I get money if I want to.  I just
have to drop some Debian work to be able to work on other issues -
which I have often declined in the past.

This thing shows me that releasing is important and that what I've
done is not.  Fine.  Then I shall not do it anymore, I guess.

> In your "essay" you ask: "Why should those, who have to make money
> in other areas in order to live at all, continue to work
> voluntarily?" -- I've tried to answer that in my recent blog post:
> because they believe in the project they're working on, and they're
> ready to look forward with everyone else, not peek sideways to see
> what the others are doing or whether they're better off.

I have some problems believing in the project...

I now also see it drowning.

In the past I have always tried to demonstrate stability and
confidence in Debian and I know that my steady work has been a reason
for some developers not to take a leave.  I can't do that anymore.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessarily a good idea.