Re: Proposal: Recall the Project Leader

On Saturday 23 September 2006 14:17, Russ Allbery wrote:
> The solution to this sort of situation is, again, a matter of ethics.  As
> a Debian Developer, I agreed to be part of this project.  To me, that
> carries an ethical obligation to make decisions for the general good of
> the project.  Should I be put into a situation where I don't feel like I
> can do that without conflicts of interest, I would recuse myself.

Debian has to look at least one move ahead.  Once conflicts of interest
are accepted with an assumption that honest people will recuse themselves,
the dynamics inevitably lead to something like the US Congress.  Non-honest
people will take roles that they would not otherwise.  And if you doubt the
existence of black hat programmers, take a look at my spam folder some day.

--Mike Bird