Re: Question to all candidates about stable point releases

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 17:28 +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> I think the first thing to note is that irregular point releases aren't
> a big deal

I think they are underrated; they provide a good service to our users.

- People buy CD's or use the non-net-install images because they don't
  have the desire to download large quantities of data on the target
  machine for good reasons. It's therefore a good service to them to
  include the updates from time to time on the cd's to limit the amount
  of downloading needed after install.
- It includes critical updates that are not distributed in any other
  way.
- Especially on slow links, having a reasonably up-to-date install cd
  reduces the window of vulnerability between installation and the time
  vulnerable services are updated. Just install Windows XP on a
  networked machine and see how it's infected before you had a chance to
  download updates.

> which is to change the queue structure so that uploads don't enter
> proposed-updates until approved by the SRM.

I'm wondering why you don't take the more obvious step: add the SRM as
an ftp-master for specifically updating stable. I believe that
empowering people to fix things themselves works many times better than
reducing the amount of work someone else has to do for them.

I believe quite some optimisations in Debian could be accomplished by
reducing the number of different people needed to reach a certain goal,
rather than simplifying the steps each of them has to take, don't you?

regards,
Thijs