Re: Question to all candidates about stable point releases

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 12:30:32PM +0100, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 17:28 +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > I think the first thing to note is that irregular point releases aren't
> > a big deal
> I think they are underrated; they provide a good service to our users.

*shrug* I didn't say they weren't a good thing; just that they aren't
as crucially important as the other things that are around to work on.

> > which is to change the queue structure so that uploads don't enter
> > proposed-updates until approved by the SRM.
> I'm wondering why you don't take the more obvious step: add the SRM as
> an ftp-master for specifically updating stable.

I was made an ftp-master for the purpose of maintaining and updating
testing; so that's certainly an option. ftpmaster work requires a
different set of skills to release management though, and frankly Joey's
already got enough stuff to do, without worrying about the nuts and
bolts of the dak implementation. TTBOMK, he hasn't shown any interest
in doing that stuff himself, either [0].

> I believe that
> empowering people to fix things themselves works many times better than
> reducing the amount of work someone else has to do for them.

Certainly, and that's exactly what the queue changes should achieve
-- they give the SRM the power to accept and reject proposed updates
directly, rather than have to supply a list of them to ftpmaster.

Cheers,
aj

[0] Indeed, you'll see that every single mail Joey sends out about the
    stable updates includes a disclaimer like "An ftpmaster still has
    to give the final approval for each package since ftpmasters are
    responsible for the archive.  However, I'm trying to make their
    work as easy as possible in the hope to get the next revision out
    properly and without too much hassle."