Re: Question for all candidates: what mistake will you _not_ make?

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 04:02:02AM +0100, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 02:13:42PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > During DPL campaigning, it seems "in" for candidates to propose all
> > sorts of Great Things they will try to do once elected. While this is
> > obviously all interesting information, it leaves out something that, I
> > think, is also fairly important: the things you think previous DPLs have
> > done wrongly, and that you intend to do differently.
>
> I'm going to really focus on what I want to achieve. I haven't promised
> that much, and certainly not things I think I cannot achieve -- although
> it'd be silly to presume I can achieve everything in my platform. Also,
> other than just limiting myself to certain areas, I'm also setting
> targets for myself that have real-world effect, and should mostly be
> of tangible benefit, rather than merely procedural. I have concrete
> ideas how I want to achieve my goals.
>
> As you can see from my answers to other questions, there are whole areas
> (such as NM) that I do think are important, but I won't make a priority
> of working on.
>
> Also, as I wrote in my platform, and elaborated on the lists later:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2006/02/msg00703.html, I've learned
> a lot from being in the DPL team of the past year, seeing some real DPL
> action from close by, working on some tough issues, and team dynamics in
> the context of Debian. To hilight some lessons: involving whole team
> (and making them feel responsible too, and in a much better position to
> assist on own initiative) by having leader@ go to the whole team; but
> at the same time, not rely on the success of the team (it should in all
> cases be a net-win in terms of what I/we will achieve); maintain a
> strict and focussed agenda; having a modest amount of serious reviews of
> DPL status.
>
> I do not believe in spending full-time time in the DPL position, that
> would IMHO be a sign that you're either not focussed enough, failing at
> management, or simply doing too much as DPL -- as stated in my platform,
> Debian works best and should work as a collection of individuals and
> teams on putting together our beloved OS, and the DPL (team) should work
> on improvements where needed. None of those improvements should ever be
> of immediate urgency. Whenever in Debian something needs to happen
> urgently, it'll be as part of some infrastructure team or so, or in any
> case, somewhere where the real work gets done. Not in the position that
> IMHO should merely ensure the real work can be done in the best possible
> circumstances.

Whoa. That certainly was a lot of information; so much, in fact, that
I'm not entirely sure I can dissolve the answer to my question from it
:-)

Therefore: could you, with the above in mind, highlight (in one sentence
please) what the specific mistake is that you will (try to) avoid
making?

--
Fun will now commence