Re: Branden's time commitments (was: Re: followup to my time-management question)

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 05:19:04PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 07:29:38PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > Daniel Stone <daniel@fooishbar.org> writes:
> > > I would argue that xfree86 could be in far better shape; X.Org 6.7.0
> > > was released in April 2004, 6.8.0 in August 2004 (IIRC), and there have
> > > been two point releases of 6.8.x since.  Despite the availability of
> > > xorg packages, Debian is still languishing with XFree86 4.3 (release
> > > date was February 2003, I believe).
> >
> [...]
> > I should have noted that xfree86 is not up-to-date with upstream as
> > you indicate, and I'm sorry for the oversight.
>
> That's a bit unfair. X.Org is a fork and so it's not obvious that Debian
> should switch; newer versions of XFree86 (such as 4.5.0, just released)
> don't have an appropriate license for Debian.

I think it's pretty obvious that Debian should switch.  Something about
support for a hojillion newer cards that is not in XFree86,
Composite/Damage/Fixes (not in XFree86), supported by all other major
vendors, et al.  But nevermind that.  Can you make a case for sticking
with XFree86?  If you can, please do so.

> There's also the issue of needing to get something stable to release,
> rather than churning through new upstream releases.

I never suggested it for Sarge, but whatever.

> Daniel might still be bitter that his hostile takeover of a few years
> back failed.

I don't recall ever attempting a hostile takeover, but thanks for the
sentiment, Hamish.  Do you have anything constructive to contribute?