Re: Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 08:41:35PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> The Debian Project,
>
> affirming its committment to principles of freeness for all works it
> distributes,
>
> but recognizing that changing the Social Contract today would have grave
> consequences for the upcoming stable release, a fact which does not
> serve our goals or the interests of our users,
>
> hereby resolves:
>
> 1. that the amendments to the Social Contract contained within the
>    General Resolution "Editorial Amendments To The Social Contract"
>    (2004 vote 003) be immediately rescinded;
> 2. that these amendments, which have already been ratified by the Debian
>    Project, will be reinstated effective as of September 1, 2004 without
>    further cause for deliberation.

I propose the following amendment, replacing the entire text of the
resolution:

---
The Debian project resolves that it will not compromise on freedom,
and will never knowingly issue another release (excluding point
updates to stable releases) that contains anything in the 'main' or
'contrib' sections which is not free software according to the DFSG.
---

This amendment essentially reaffirms that the current text of the
social contract is what is meant, and that Debian does not cut corners
in order to release sooner.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |