Re: Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 01:06:39PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> I propose the following amendment, replacing the entire text of the
> resolution:
>
> ---
> The Debian project resolves that it will not compromise on freedom,
> and will never knowingly issue another release (excluding point
> updates to stable releases) that contains anything in the 'main' or
> 'contrib' sections which is not free software according to the DFSG.
> ---

I propose the following cosmetic amendments to the above:

s/project/Project/

s/to stable releases/& already made at the time this resolution comes
into force/

Without the latter amendment, I fear that at some time in the future,
people will say it's "obvious" that the above permits us to knowingly
put non-free software back into main via a point update even if we had
to leave it out for the initial release.

My second to Mr. Suffield's proposal is not contingent upon his
acceptance of my proposed amendments.  The second stands even if he
rejects them.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Sometimes, getting your patch in is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    just a matter of waiting for