Re: Proposal - Deferment of Changes from GR 2004-003

Scripsit Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org>

> I propose the following amendment, replacing the entire text of the
> resolution:

> ---
> The Debian project resolves that it will not compromise on freedom,
> and will never knowingly issue another release (excluding point
> updates to stable releases) that contains anything in the 'main' or
> 'contrib' sections which is not free software according to the DFSG.
> ---

Could you soften that text a bit? I sympathise with the wish to have
something like this on the ballot, but with such an absolute
uncompromising wording ('anything'), it might be difficult to defend
even the pragmatic interpretation that lets us distribute the GPL (or
its preamble). We might end up distributing no kernel and no libc...

--
Henning Makholm            "We can hope that this serious deficiency will be
                      remedied in the final version of BibTeX, 1.0, which is