Re: "keep non-free" proposal

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 07:19:54PM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > Unfortunately, the GPL is a "work", so this line of reasoning simply
> > doesn't, well, work.
> The GPL can be a work, but we are using it (primarily) in the context
> of a license, as opposed to a mere work. Like copyright statements,
> valid licenses[1] are legal documents which cannot be modified by
> anyone save the copyright holder of a work.

You can't modify the GPL to create a new, derivative license because
the FSF say you can't. You can't apply a new license, whether based on
the GPL or developed from scratch to an existing work because you're
not the copyright owner.

The first is a problem as far as DFSG-freedom is concerned, the latter
isn't.

Neither is a problem for Debian, unless you start insisting that we're
betraying our principles to even consider including anything non-free
no matter what it's form under pool/main.

> As far as licenses included as a mere work,

There's nothing "mere" about works; nor does it make a lot of sense to
treat licenses differently when they cover a free work to when they're
included in the package for other reasons (namely, they benefit users
of the package in some way, such as serving as an example).

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004