Re: "keep non-free" proposal

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 01:33:37PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
>   1.  The Debian Distribution will remain 100% Free
> We provide the guidelines that we use to determine if a work is "free"
> in the document entitled "The Debian Free Software Guidelines". We
> promise that the Debian system and all its components will be free
> according to these guidelines.

> Andrew Suffield's editorial-fixes proposal deals with the contentious issue
> of the meaning of "Software" and the limitation of section 5 to "Programs",
> by clarifying that the DFSG applies to *all* works.

Unfortunately, the GPL is a "work", so this line of reasoning simply
doesn't, well, work.

I'm not sure why you so object to non-free documentation that you're
unwilling to countenance any decision that leaves it in main. I'm not
sure why you're unwilling to persuasively argue that it should be removed
immediately on its merits, either.

> Please, get Andrew's editorial-fixes proposal passed already. *sigh* I don't
> give a damn about the non-free issue either way, but I *do* care that the
> 'main' archive is *actually* free.

For someone who's not a developer, nor a n-m applicant, I'm not sure
why you think your opinion is an important factor in any decision making.

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004