Re: "keep non-free" proposal

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 01:33:37PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> > Andrew Suffield's editorial-fixes proposal deals with the
> > contentious issue of the meaning of "Software" and the limitation
> > of section 5 to "Programs", by clarifying that the DFSG applies to
> > *all* works.
>
> Unfortunately, the GPL is a "work", so this line of reasoning simply
> doesn't, well, work.

The GPL can be a work, but we are using it (primarily) in the context
of a license, as opposed to a mere work. Like copyright statements,
valid licenses[1] are legal documents which cannot be modified by
anyone save the copyright holder of a work.

If people feel that it's important to specifically iterate that
copyright statements and valid licenses must necessarily exist outside
of the DFSG, that might be appropriate. (I'm not convinced that it's
necessary, but I'm not against it either.)

As far as licenses included as a mere work, (that is, not specified by
a valid copyright on a work included in Debian) have no reason to be
included in main unless they can satisfy the DFSG. [Probably no reason
even then.]

Don Armstrong

1: I'm refering here specifically to a license as specified by a valid
copyright on a work included in Debian, rather than the license
included on it's own.

--
I leave the show floor, but not before a pack of caffeinated Jolt gum
is thrust at me by a hyperactive girl screaming, "Chew more! Do more!"

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu