Re: Another proposal.

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 12:14:02PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> You're saying, in essence, that since we've never had a problem getting
> enough people involved in the vote that we shouldn't have any kind
> of minimal requirements for getting people involved.  Yes, you could
> describe quorum in this context as a solution looking for a problem.
> Or, you could say that it's a way of formalizing existing practice.

I'd feel more sanguine about quorum requirements if they applied only to
the number of ballots received, rather than in some calculated way to
options on ballots.

> > I suspect the same is true of supermajority requirements.
>
> Likewise, we've never had an official vote where the winning option would
> have failed to satisfy a 3:1 supermajority requirement.

Sure we have.

http://www.debian.org/vote/1999/vote_0001
	Wichert did not defeat Richard Braakman by a 3:1 margin.

http://www.debian.org/vote/1999/result_0002
	"DUEL" [sic] license did not defeat "SINGLE" license by even a
	2:1 margin.

http://www.debian.org/vote/1999/result_0004
	"SWIRL" defeated "DG" by only 77 to 57.

http://www.debian.org/vote/1999/vote_0005
	Hmm, well, pretty sure this one didn't pass by a 3:1 margin, but
	the results aren't available.  :-P

(Holy cow, the 2000 DPL election really was a landslide for Wichert,
though.)

http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2001/debian-vote-200103/msg00159.html
	Ben Collins did not defeat me by a 3:1 margin, nor even 2:1 (149
	to 112).

Likewise, the 2002 election was not a runaway for any candidate (unless
you're a Republican, where defeating a Democratic candidate by less than
one percentage point counts as an "overwhelming mandate" for a
hard-right conservative agenda.)

> In these votes,
> the winning option hasn't needed to satisfy that kind of requirement,
> but even if they had it wouldn't have been a problem.

Well, yeah, it would have, unless I just plain don't know how to read
the results, which I suppose is possible.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       The key to being a Southern
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Baptist: It ain't a sin if you