Re: Debian GNU/Hurd and Debian GNU/*BSD

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 09:51:24PM -0800, ivan wrote:
> Out of curiosity, Branden, how do you anticipate your resources being
> allocated if you win the DPL election?

I anticipate they'll be spread more thinly.  But that's the nature of
the beast.  A candidate who hasn't already demonstrated willingness to
take on big jobs and/or hard jobs is unlikely to win.

We've had people who were relative unknowns -- probably with plenty of
time to spare for the job -- run for DPL before, and they've never won.
The most reliable way to get your name known to a lot of developers is
by doing good, prominent work.

> Will you pass maintainership for the xfree packages onto someone else?

Someday, I'd like to.  The main problem is finding anyone insane enough
to volunteer.  :)

Note that this is also a reason my emphasis as DPL is going to be on
delegation.  My concept of Project Leader is that of someone who puts
the tasks that need to be done together with the people who are willing
and able to do them; not that of a captain who angrily yells, "no no no,
you morons, you're doing this all wrong", and grabs the helm.

This sort of thing takes time, certainly.  But not nearly as much as
single-handedly trying to accomplish all the other goals of my platform
all by my lonesone self.  I couldn't, anyway; people would rightly
resent such a dictatorial attitude.  I'd like to do what I can to build
trust, achieve consensus, *and* solve problems.  The more the former two
can be accomplished, the easier time we'll have with the latter.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       The software said it required
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Windows 3.1 or better, so I