Re: OT: Top Posting

On 5/15/24 10:06, Nicolas George wrote:
Cindy Sue Causey (12024-05-15):
Best as I was able to discern from the Net [0], 72 characters is the
magic number for line length because 4 extra characters are added to
both ends when e.g. git processes submissions. Makes good common sense
to me.

Git is an order of magnitude younger than the limit at 72 characters.

PS I thought it was 80. Guess it was about those extra 8 characters.

It is 80 but you anticipate that people will be adding “> ” in front of
your lines.

"Pretty well agreed upon..." That's implying that unspoken list
standards are really not users "picking on each other." Listserv
standards is a concept that has evolved over decades for rational
reasons as Developer and User communications evolved.

Indeed.

It's easy to mess up badly while moving emails around

As a general rule, GUIs suck at anything but trivial tasks.

Evolution appears to do some form of maybe symlinking instead of
downloading so everything is available almost immediately seconds after
the first time Evolution is ever fired up.

The IMAP protocol is designed to let us manipulate mails directly on the
server without downloading the bulk of them. A lot of GUI MUA are still
designed around the old paradigm where mails are downloaded, and turned
it into some kind of cache: it rarely works well.

Manipulate mails directly on the server. Have a backup. If your server
is often down and accessing the mails is urgent, have a local *copy* of
it.

reach back a limited time span into history before I a-sume Gmail cut
off access to touching older emails.

If you want mail that works well, start by avoiding services meant for
the lowest common denominator of the general public.

Regards,

I'll add that googles gmail, written by former outlook developers is the biggest pita to ever hit the net. They break every rfc that can.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis