Re: OT: Top Posting

Cindy Sue Causey (12024-05-15):
> Best as I was able to discern from the Net [0], 72 characters is the
> magic number for line length because 4 extra characters are added to
> both ends when e.g. git processes submissions. Makes good common sense
> to me.

Git is an order of magnitude younger than the limit at 72 characters.

> PS I thought it was 80. Guess it was about those extra 8 characters.

It is 80 but you anticipate that people will be adding “> ” in front of
your lines.

> "Pretty well agreed upon..." That's implying that unspoken list
> standards are really not users "picking on each other." Listserv
> standards is a concept that has evolved over decades for rational
> reasons as Developer and User communications evolved.

Indeed.

> It's easy to mess up badly while moving emails around

As a general rule, GUIs suck at anything but trivial tasks.

> Evolution appears to do some form of maybe symlinking instead of
> downloading so everything is available almost immediately seconds after
> the first time Evolution is ever fired up.

The IMAP protocol is designed to let us manipulate mails directly on the
server without downloading the bulk of them. A lot of GUI MUA are still
designed around the old paradigm where mails are downloaded, and turned
it into some kind of cache: it rarely works well.

Manipulate mails directly on the server. Have a backup. If your server
is often down and accessing the mails is urgent, have a local *copy* of
it.

> reach back a limited time span into history before I a-sume Gmail cut
> off access to touching older emails.

If you want mail that works well, start by avoiding services meant for
the lowest common denominator of the general public.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George