Re: Dovecot correct ownership for logs

On 15/5/24 18:52, Richard wrote:
mailbox_transport isn't defined anywhere.

Am Mi., 15. Mai 2024 um 12:37 Uhr schrieb jeremy ardley <jeremy.ardley@gmail.com>:

    On 15/5/24 18:23, Richard wrote:
    > Interesting. That's not even configured in our main.cfg. We have
    these
    > concerning dovecot:
    > smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
    > mailbox_command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -d $USER

    The sasl line is not relevant

    The mailbox_command is unusual. It means whatever process actually
    execute the mailbox_command runs as (some) postfix user to run the
    deliver application. This may well cause permission issues.

    The usual case is dovecot listens for commands on a unix socket or
    maybe
    an IP socket. In any case it has an entirely separate user ID from
    postfix.

    You may want to look at using the mailbox_transport option instead of
    the mailbox_command option

    mailbox_transport =  lmtp:unix:private/dovecot-lmtp

Then you may want to look at the manuals and find out how to add a mailbox_transport entry and comment out the mailbox_command entry.

There are many other options of course, but mailbox_transport is a very common configuration and usually avoids most permission issues.