Re: Dovecot correct ownership for logs

On Mon, May 13, 2024 at 10:16:13PM +0200, Richard wrote:
> Maybe someone here knows how the ownership of these files for Dovecot needs
> to be in order to work, as various distributions of Dovecot packages seem
> to use different users:
> I'd like Dovecot not to log into syslog, but to dedicated files. Therefore
> I've created the directory /var/log/dovecot and told dovecot in
> 10-logging.conf to log info, debug and error messages to separate files.
> But I get error messages from postfix (weird):

I think this Dovecot's LDA (the local delivery agent) [1], which is
invoked by the MTA (Postfix) and is, therefore, most probably running
as postfix.

[...]

> > (temporary failure. Command output: lda(user): Error:
> > net_connect_unix(/run/dovecot/stats-writer) failed: Permission denied Can't
> > open log file /var/log/dovecot/error.log: Permission denied )

This message actually is an indicator against the chroot theory posed
elsewhere in this thread (in a chroot, you would get "no such file or
directory", I guess).

> This is the content of /var/log/dovecot:
> -rw-r--r--  1 dovecot dovecot    0 13. Mai 20:50 debug.log
> -rw-r--r--  1 dovecot dovecot  880 13. Mai 21:21 error.log
> -rw-r--r--  1 dovecot dovecot  40K 13. Mai 21:20 info.log

Try to set the log file's group to mail (or whatever group Postfix is
running as) and make them group writable.

Cheers