Re: Spurious messages at the console

On Sat, May 11, 2024 at 08:57:24PM -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:

[...]

> Excellent advice. Thanks.
>
> Here's an oddity. The following commands are equivalent, according to the
> dmesg(1) man page:
>
> dmesg -n 1 and dmesg -n emerg
>
> But according to every document I've viewed, "emerg" is code for 0, not 1.
> If anyone can explain, I'd be interested.

This is funny, yes. It seems intentional, though:

  https://sources.debian.org/src/util-linux/2.38.1-5/sys-utils/dmesg.c/#L1505

calls parse_level with a second arg of 0, which causes parse_level()

  https://sources.debian.org/src/util-linux/2.38.1-5/sys-utils/dmesg.c/#L348

to add an offset of 1. No idea what the thought behind this is.

Perhaps backward-compat to some forgotten lore?

Cheers